Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pantyliner allergies?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array lafemelle's Avatar

Default pantyliner allergies?

Okay, so here's a bit of a backstory: Feb. last year, got a yeast infection. Treated it with a 1-day OTC cream, which didn't do the trick and it came back. I went to the doc to get a prescription for it...during this time, started wearing pantyliners for the first time ever.

Throughout the next few days, continued to wear pantyliners 24/7 waiting for the infection to clear up. After a week or so, I was still having discharge and slight irritation, but not nearly as bad as when I'd had the infection. Because of the discharge (LOTS of it), I continued to wear pantyliners every day, and the discharge never went away.

Over the past year, I have been seen by 3 different doctors and have been tested for all vaginal infections AND std's, and everything comes back negative. But the discharge will not go away, and it's stumped the doctors as to why.

The thing is, I've been reading up on some women being allergic to pantyliners. And I only started using them during treatment for the initial yeast infection...which is when this whole discharge nonsense began. But no doctor has ever suggested to me in the last year of dealing with this that I may be allergic to pantyliners (I have mentioned my use of them to all the docs I've seen).

Has anyone else found that they're allergic to them? I'm curious about other women who have experienced pantyliner allergies, and if there's anything insightful you could tell me that may help out.

WH Super Moderator Array caterpillar79's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had yeast infection when I moved to a different State, which was because of two reasons: I am allergic to panty liners (which I used then), and I had a pH imbalance. During that time, I was also taking some antibiotics for my sore throat which aggravated the situation.

My OB-GYNE prescribed me a one-time oral med which worked well. When I took that med, I stopped using a panty liner, I instead brought with me a wash cloth and a fresh panty at work. In short, during lunch break, I would clean myself with the wash cloth, and wear fresh panties, also, before I go to bed, I clean myself again and wear fresh panties (cotton panties).

I also don't use a feminine wash since I was told by ny doc that it actually alters my pH. I just use a white fragrance free soap and soap my thighs and my joints but my vagina. I just wash it with water (no soap). Another point: use one hand for your Vagina, and the other for your anus. Don't use the same hand to either.

Guys love a fresh V...

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your body cleanses itself and some discharge is normal. Everytime I talk to the light of my life, I get all wet and juicy... Panty liners and such, especially those with scent or deodorant can certainly trigger reactions. So can fabric dried with drier sheets, scented soaps, and variety of chemicals. Best to steer clear of all that.

Do a web search on dryer sheet dangers, you will be shocked.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array lafemelle's Avatar

Yeah, I know some discharge is normal...I never had ANY discharge, and then one day (at 22 years old) I started getting a slight irritation and so much discharge every day that I have no choice but to wear pantyliners all day long. It definitely isn't a normal amount. I tried going a day without pantyliners a couple of days ago, but by the time I'd been awake for 2 hours I already had too much discharge and had to resort back to them...

I am allergic to fabric softener (of all kinds) so I don't use it anyway. And I don't wash that area of my body with soap of any kind, so I've kind of ruled that out.

Sigh.

This is annoying.

Junior Member Array

have you ever look into a bacteria vaginosis infection? there's hardly any irritation involved with BV but some of the syptoms you mention are similair to those of BV, just check it out you will be surprised...

Junior Member Array

Wink All natural

I can totally relate one thing I noticed for myself was any kind of fragrance or synthetic materials gave me irritation. I used to use tampons and would get scented ones thinking it would help with odor but come to find out it only made things worse. I now use pads but with no dyes, chemicals, or synthetic materials. This has made all the difference. I found them on line they are called Winalite they are made of cotton and thin silk they are not bulky and have great absorbency. Theses really made a difference for me its worth looking into stay away form tampons to they only hold bacteria inside us and make a great environment for infections.
    Last edited by caterpillar79; 03-29-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: edited hyperlink

ESJ
    Junior Member Array

In the past i have had irritations to scented pantyliners(i didn't know that at the time) i would have slight itching but it would go away after a few days. But this time i made it worst, everytime i went to the bathroom it would itch and as i wiped i would scrub it to relieve the itching(bad idea) i kept doing it until one day it started burning. After that when i would pee it would burn(more like a strong tingle) for a second. I was afraid that i may have turned it into an STD(not sure if its possible) but i was scared to mention that part to anyone because i have a boyfriend and niether of us has ever had an STD before(he recently got a cold sore which really freaked me out[but i know i havent cheated and i trust him]). So i started putting vagisil on it, it stopped the itching but it still sort of burned if i would wipe or close my legs tightly. I dont have any bumps or sores or anything like that just the feelings. And im not even really sure if its a yeast infection(i do wear tight pants) but i have no curd-like discharge or discoloration. I dnt know what to do but its only been a few days. Should a wait to see if it will go away or should i call my gyno???

WH Super Moderator Array caterpillar79's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Schedule for a check-up with your GYN. It might be a yeast infection or a pH imbalance. Do wear cotton panties and change at least 2-3 times a day. If you can, wash your vaginal area with water in the midday and change your underwear (no panty-liner). Likewise, shave most of the area that is affected to help air it up. Drink sufficient amount of water to cleanse your system as well while waiting to be seen by your GYN.
    What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy

The clearest explanation for failure of any marriage is that two people are incompatible; that is, one is male and the other female. - Anna Quindlen

Register! | Rules/FAQ |Contact Mod| Contact Admin

Default yeast infections

dear all

hello
    this problem that y suffer from can be very easily cured in 3 simple steps.
    go to store buy neem leaves
    get it home and boil it in water till water turns dark green
    take that hot water in a jug and splash in and around area as hot as you can take it , should you want to make it a little bearable add room temperature water from tap.

pls note that there is a very fine line between healing yourself by doing this and harming yourself if not down correctly the extreme hot water could cause you to blister.

i do this when ever i unfortunately get one
    simply boild the water before my bath
    after my bath i splash the water that i have made after mixing some room temp water and splash on area that itches the most initially you will get a shocking tingle but slowly you will notice that the redness caused due to the infection is subsiding , instantly will give you relief from the itching .
    make sure you let urself air .....
    while infectio is on make sure you do not constrict your area with a very tight underwear or panty hose
    make sure u do not use a panty liner or and synthetic cloth
    try to not wear a panty to sleep and within a few days you will feel better
    when you have a yeast infection this means your urinary track has also been infected hence drink juice preferably fresh and some power form of digestive to ease the urine flow.

pls consult a doctor if you have not had any ans to your solutions as repetition of this regularly may lead to other ailments this is very serious address it at the earliest.

Rgds

Junior Member Array

I used to have recurrent bacterial vaginosis. My Doctor advised me not to wear pantyliners as it worsen the infection. Just try to keep your vagina clean and dry to prevent infection. Pantyliners are not safe at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast