Forum:

Thread: how important is it to take the pill at the same time every day?

she
    Junior Member Array

Default how important is it to take the pill at the same time every day?

i'm usually taking it within the hour of my scheduled time. last night i took it 4 and a half hours late my husband and i were out of town and I didnt have my pack with me. we spontaneously made love right after. is it ok???

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

Imo it should be okay, since on the pack it says that even if you miss one pill by a full day, just take two the next day without needing to use a secondary method of protection.

Don't make it a habit though, try to always take it within the hour of the same time. Last month I got lazy (boyfriend moved away) and took it late all the time because I kept forgetting. Ended up messing up my cycle.

she
    Junior Member Array

thanks. i dont want any babies!

Junior Member Array

Up to 12hrs will be ok to miss ur pill if its a combined oestrogen/progestogen pill. After this you'll need to take the pill you've missed & use additional protection for 7 days, or no sex. Obviously you'll get better cycle control if u take the pill at exactly the same time everyday, but a few hours makes no difference to your fertility.
    If ur taking a traditional progetogen based pill u'll only have 3 hrs in which to take it, or 12 hrs for the stronger Cerazette.
    If you miss more than 1 pill or are late starting a new pack, it's best to have chat with the doc or pharmacist cos depending on when u last had sex u may need to take emergency contraception.
    xx

When I was on the pill, I rarely took it at the same time every day, and quite a few times each month, I had to double up the next day because I'd forgotten the pill the night before, and I never had a problem. I took (on my doctor's advice) my pill continuously, skipping the placebos, from the very first pack. I'll admit I was careless about taking them on time. But, I never once had any spotting, breakthrough bleeding, or any other problems. It may not be that way for everyone or every BCP, though.

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is about a 3 hour window. The reason you need to take it at the same time everyday is because there is a set amount of contraceptive compounds in the pill and once that is used up the effectiveness is dropped. Taking it at random times does mess up your cycles, it will mess up the concentrations of contraceptive in your body and make it much less effective overall. The instructions are on each pill pack. Missing one day is not entirely bad because you just need to take it as soon as you remember even if it means taking 2 pills in one day. Once you miss 3 pills you need to restart an entire pack though. It is very important to read and follow the label as well the information from the doctor. Doing it in this manner will save you from the increased chance of pregnancy scares.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.