Forum:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: nose pain and swelling

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array TigersPrettyBunny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cera View Post
    yep. sinus infection it is.
    they actually said i have a uti and that infection spread into my sinuses.
    so now i am on antibiotics and codeine for the pain in my nose.
    Ho snap! Yea, if you let a UTI go untreated for long enough it can wreak havoc on your body. I've had a similar problem. I had a UTI that I really didn't have many symptoms for. After a couple months of feeling like I had chronic fatigue syndrome I finally went to the dr and they were surprised I was still pushing through daily life in my current state. Eat LOTS of ****ake mushrooms when you have a UTI. They are full of D-Mannose which the UTI bacteria cling to, releasing themselves from the urethral walls and flushing out with urine.

Junior Member Array

I was in awe to read the comments with exactly my symptoms. Last week I woke up and felt like my nose was broke. All day kept saying "did I beat myself up in my sleep last night". Could not touch the right side of my nose pain without extreme pain. Went to my doctor and he prescribe 3 day strong antibiotic for sinus infection and steroids for my neck pain that's been going on for months. I don't know which gave me relief but a week later the same symptoms but on the right side of my nose, pain, swelling, redness. I was then referred to ENT doctor. He said sinuses looked fine and thought this was skin infection and prescribed 10 days of Bactrim (antibiotic). I immediately started to research and was shocked to come across this site with all the similar comments relating to what I was going through. Thanks for all the postings to help me think I'm not crazy. Who'd thought I'd find so much "nose bone pain".

Junior Member Array

Default Hopefully recovering from Nasal Cellulitis

One thing that is not on here is the "what comes after the diagnosis" which I cannot find anywhere on the internet. So I thought I would tell my story and see if I get any replies.

Day 1: Woke up and my nose, towards the top, hurt so bad I could not apply makeup. No visible signs of trauma, no redness, no swelling. Throughout the day the left side of my face starting hurting.

Day 2: Woke up and the left side of my nose is red and swollen and continues to the left side of my face under my eye. I felt horrible and the pain was the worst. Like nails being driven in, absolutely no chance of touching my nose. Off to the Dr. I go (actually nurse practitioner). After 15 minutes of assuring her that my husband did not hit me, she prescribed an antibiotic, chlarythamiacin (sp??) but for what she did not know.

Day 3: Couldn't sleep all night. Massive pain and swelling on left side of nose and on my face, extreme redness. Call the Doc for pain medication.

Day 4: Faded in with day 3, no change.

Day 5: Spent morning on internet and ran across this wonderful site, back off to a real MD I go! Diagnosed with Cellulitis, maybe mrsa. Taken off old antibiotic and put on Bactrim DS for 14 days, he took blood tests.

Day 6: Swelling down, pain more manageable, slight redness. Back to the Dr for follow up...blood test okay, diagnosed with Cellulitis being treated for mrsa.

Today is Day 7: Slight more swelling, lessened pain however, dizzy and feeling like I have the flu...body aches and pains...stiff neck...feeling feverish.

So here I am, on the night of day 7 and not sure what to think. My nose is definitely better but I feel like I have the flu. I don't know if that is normal for you to feel so bad when your body is fighting the infection so hard??? Maybe. Or if the antibiotics are causing all of this. I just don't know what to think. Nor can I understand how I got this, no obvious signs of trauma. I just hope and pray I recover well and fast and never ever get it again.

Junior Member Array

How long did it take you to start feeling better after you started the antibiotics??? Did you happen to have any of the symptoms I mentioned in the post below??? Like feeling like you have the flu?? All achey and such?? Glad you found out what it is and had a Doc that knew what he was doing!!!

Junior Member Array

I had the same thing happen to me. Woke up one morning and felt like I had been punched in the nose. By the 2nd day it was just a bit swollen and slightly red on the right side. I was also afraid of Cellulitis! But my nose wasn't real red. (I searched pics on Google) Just looked inflamed. So I decided to wait a few days before going to the doc. On day 4, all of the sudden a glob of thick jelly like snot (sorry to be gross) slid down the back of my throat. Almost instantly the pain subsided. Day 5....the pain is almost gone! After research, I think my ethmoid sinus was blocked. This link shows where that sinus is, and that's exactly where I was feeling pain...like it was bruised and VERY sore to the touch. http://www.medicalook.com/systems_im...uses_large.gif I used a neti pot and I think that helped unclog it.

Please google nose Cellulitis and look at the images if you are unsure it's just a sinus problem. It can be dangerous.
    Last edited by joyjoy366; 02-15-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Junior Member Array

I had surgery on my sinuses a couple weeks ago and have been healing well up until about three days ago. I now have swelling on the right side of my nose and it is really painful. I quit taking my pain pills, but had to start them again. I called the surgeon's office and they bumped up my follow up for a few days so I could go the next day. Since I was in so much pain, I called back to speak with a nurse who said it was normal healing. What concerned me was I felt a lot better and then all of a sudden had this issue. If it had been on going, I would believe it is part of the healing and recovery, but I feel something is wrong. I went in today for my followup and the surgeon wouldn't even touch my nose to see if there is swelling. He just said there is no swelling and it isn't because of anything they did anyway. He only looked in my nostrils and said there was no infection. He didn't test or do xrays. He did clean it out, but said it was only part of the recovery. He didn't suggest or do anything to help. I am in so much pain, I have been vomitting, and it is swollen, but he said there's nothing wrong and seemed more concerned with it wasn't his fault anyway. My friend said to call my PCP who is really good. I have an appointment tomorrow. In the mean time I found this site and the symptoms described on this thread are what I am experiencing. I believe I have cellulitus. I hope I get some answers tomorrow as I am scared of infection spreading and tired of the pain.

Junior Member Array

Yes , I also think that it will be a type of infection. You have to consult doctor as soon as possible for your betterment.

Junior Member Array

Hi everyone

I was glad to find this post as I have been having the same problem. My nose first started
    hurting and I thought it was from my glasses. The right side became very sore and started
    swelling. It hurt very bad even when touching the left side very gently. I read through
    the pages of this post and came up with something that others might want to try as it seems
    to be working very well for me. I am not a doctor so do this at your own risk and be careful
    to avoid the eyes. I put a light layer of the triple antibiotic ointment, the kind that that most
    people use on cuts and scrapes. I put it on last night before I went to bed and again this morning
    and both the pain and swelling have been reduced by more than 50%. Before I applied the
    treatment I did not have any nasal drip but since I applied the ointment my nose has started to
    run. I am no expert but this tells me that something is going on and the cream seems to be
    working. My nose was so sore that I could not wear my glasses last night and now I have them
    on with no problems. This might be something to try until you can see a doctor or maybe it
    will take care of the problem and save you a trip to the doctor.

Junior Member Array

Day #2.

Swelling is down by about 75% and pain is almost gone. I have been applying the antibiotic cream around three
    or four times a day. I also forgot to mention that I clean the area each time with a alcohol swab.

Junior Member Array

I woke up 5 days ago with tenderness at the bridge of my nose, feeling as if I'd injured myself & not realizing it. I haven't had a cold, I did not feel & do not nasal congestion, I am breathing clearly. On day 3 it was obviously worsening & not improving, now I was having some drainage & a little bit of a runny nose, still no congestion. I tried a saline solution with a Neti pot & no improvement. Day 4 I tried Sudafed also no improvement, NyQuil & no improvement I even woke up in the middle of the night with major pressure & a headache so I took 2 aspirins. It is Saturday & we are under Hurricane Watch so the barometric pressure is probably not helping matters. After reading this Blog I understand that a medical appointment is necessary. I am going to follow the blogger who wrote that his Dr recommended Sinus Wash & rx Nasonex 2x a day until I can see the Dr. hopefully on Monday.... Not sure the difference between my Neti pot & the Sinus Wash I suppose I will figure it out at Walgreens. Will have the Dr rule out Celulitis/Staph/MRSA... Thanks for Blogging.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast