Forum:

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bacterial vaginosis sufferers-READ THIS (long)

Junior Member Array

Default Bacterial vaginosis sufferers-READ THIS (long)

I am posting this on as many forums as I can that deal with BV

This is long, but I hope VERY helpful.
    The reason I listed the subject as I did is because this post is based on weeks of research on various websites, forums and personal experimentation. I have tried my best to condense all of the best and most useful info I could find on this subject.

I DO encourage anyone suffering from this to do as much research as they can, but if you are not good at research or do not have the time, I think this post will be helpful to you.

First,my story/symptoms- i am 40 and have had yeast infections from time to time during my adulthood. Have always treated them with OTC treatment that has worked well for me. A few weeks ago I felt that unmistakable itch that has always, for me, signaled a yeast infection. I tried the usual OTC. Didn't work...hmmmmmmmm. tried it again, didn't work again. That's when I realized I'm dealing with something else this time. Begin with the research and reading- I'm 99.9% sure I have BV. Looked at the "official" info websites on the subject. They give great info on the causes but all treatment suggestions send you to your Dr, where they promptly give you a pelvic and a dose of antibiotics. After reading hundreds of posts from ladies that followed that course-went to Dr, got antibiotics, got temporary relief and BV keeps coming back; I decided to try and treat myself from the get-go. If you make that choice also, please do it carefully. I am NOT one of those folks who doesn't believe in going to the Dr. But after all I've read, it is my strong opinion that the general medical community has really dropped the ball on this problem. All they seem to do is throw antibiotics at you; which at best gives you temporary relief only to have BV return. At worst, temp relief of BV, but a lovely yeast infection in it's place.
    OK, Off the soapbox and on with the info....

First I'm going to talk about the WHY. If you've been to other sites you may know this already, so skip it. If not read on.

The vagina is an interesting little ecosystem. Basically you have "good" bacteria that live there and keep everything happy. The environment of the vagina needs to be acidic (3.5-4.5) Just a little primer on the PH scale...0-14, 0 is extreme acidic, 14 is extreme alkaline. If your PH gets off and moves toward the higher end, your Good bacteria die and bad bacteria take over-thus BV. Or a yeast infection. Either one lives at the more alkaline. The acidity/good bacteria is a circle. The good bacteria help keep the acid right and the acid keeps the good bacteria alive. If you need more info on whether you have a bacterial infection or a yeast infection, that is pretty easy to find here and all over the web. My info is designed for gals that pretty much know they have BV.

OK...what now??? Another gal put the treatment process very succinctly and I'm basically repeating her thoughts.

1. Kill bad bacteria
    2. Make environment in vagina more acidic.
    3. Re-introduce good bacteria.
    4. Find out what is causing yours and prevent. This is a mystery, I think there may be more to BV than what we currently know. There are Soooooo many ways your ph can become unbalanced and cause this. Educate yourself as much as possible and try to figure out your why.

The tools I have found that seem to work the best for the most people are these:
    (I will tell you how to use each) You can find all of this at a health food store.

1.Hydorgen Peroxide
    2.Folic Acid
    3.Tea Tree Oil
    4.Apple Cider Vinegar
    5.Probiotics

1.Peroxide-Good all around cleasing agent. The bad bacteria are anaerobic, meaning they thrive in the absence of oxygen. The good bacteria are aerobic, the opposite. Peroxide floods the vagina with an environment that the bad stuff hates.
    2.Folic Acid-I don't know why or really if this actually works, but a LOT of women swear by it and it can't hurt you-so why not.If anyone has more info on why Folic acid works please let me know.
    3.Tea Tree Oil- This is a great natural TOPICAL antibiotic. There are others also, but Tea Tree is easy to come by and inexpensive and goes a long way.
    4.Apple Cider Vinegar-This is a natural, inexpensive acid. Some gals insist on getting the kind with the "mother". You can find this at natural food stores.
    5.Probiotics- I cannot (because this would be unbearibly long) go into all the details of the various strains of bacteria that should be living in your vagina. There is soooo much info out there to read on this(and I suggest you do)So I'm going to be VERY basic. Lactobacillus Acidolphis is one of the strains you need and can be easliy bought and administered.

OK, now for actual treatment. Other tools you will need other than the ones listed above are-
    1. A small syringe. Get the type that has a bulb on the end. Designed for giving children medicine. Looks like a large eye dropper or a tiny turkey baster. Found mine at Wallgreens.
    2. Tampons- get the kind that have different sizes. You will use the small tampon in the large applicator.

How to use these tools for treatment:
    Take 800 mg of Folic Acid in the morning and 400mg at night.

You can rinse with the Peroxide first or anytime the discharge is bad. I found no problem with using it full strength. You can dilute if it bothers you. Draw it up into the syringe, insert as you would a tampon and squeeze it out while the syringe is inside. You can repeat this a couple of times.

Tea Tree Oil. This is where you use the tampons. Take out a small one and a large one, remove both tampons from their applicators. Throw out the small applicator and the large tampon. The reason you are doing this is(duh) a tampon swells when it is wet, so you have to get it saturated with oil THEN insert. Use the syringe to draw up some of the oil. saturate the small tampon with the oil. place the tampon in the large applicator and insert. leave in for up to 3 hrs. This is the A-Bomb for the bad bacteria! Take out and wait a few hours before the vinegar.

Vinegar. I found that the vinegar will burn if you do not dilute heavily. Find a level that is comfortable for you. You can either use your diluted mixture to rinse inside as you did with the peroxide or can saturate a tampon as you did with the oil. This will bring your Ph over to the acid side and make it a nice place for the good stuff to grow.

Acidophilus. This one has the most latitude. Probiotics come in capsules, tablets, "liquid", and in various foods. Most strains cannot migrate from your digestive tract to your vagina. Sooooo, the best way to adminiser these babies is to put them right where they need to be. i found that the capsules didn't disolve in the vagina as they would in the stomach, so I found an Acidophilus that is in a kind of liquid form. It actually looks like a runny yogurt. This is an easy method to get the little guys where they need to be. Use the syringe and insert a couple of teaspoons inside.
    I found it best to use the Peroxide, Oil, and Vinegar during the day and the acidophilus in the evening before bed. That way it's not so messy (put on a pair of COTTON undies) also allows the whole night for them to multiply.
    As for taking probiotics orally, certianly can't hurt and may help a lot. So take them orally in conjuction with vaginally.

I had results from this treatment plan in one day. I hope to get some feedback with others experiences. Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps. This is such an awful problem and there aren't that many real answers out there.

Junior Member Array

Default Re: your recommendation of tea tree oil

Gatorgal:

I read your post with great interest and have purchased all of the things you mentioned. I just did the peroxide wash, and did the saturated-with-tea-tree-oil tampon, as well. As I was continuing my research of BV, I noted that there are repeated statements about tea tree oil not being recommended for internal use. What has been your experience with this? Am I going to have some kind of reaction to this being in my vagina? I can't find any rationale given for why it is not recommended, but wondered what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

Junior Member Array

Kobirot,
    I sent this to you as a reply in my email- don't know if you got it or not- so I'm posting here. if you already got this, sorry.

kobirot,
    I was concerned about that as well. I haven't had any bad effects from the tea tree except possibly a little tenderness. I don't know if it was the oil or just an effect of the infection. I actually saw tea tree vaginal suppositories in the health food store, very expensive! I have also added vitamin e oil to my "recipe" as well, mostly to see if it helps with the tenderness. So far the Vit E oil is helping too. I saw a recommendation that if the pure tea tree is too much for you, to mix it with Vit E oil and then soak the tampon. I have been using a little less of the tea tree (soaking only the 1st quarter of the tampon) for 3 hrs. then soaking one in vit e for as long as want. I'd be very interested in how this whole process goes with you, sure hope it helps.

gatorgal

Junior Member Array

Thumbs up

Thanks for the clarification, gatorgal. I used the tea tree oil last weekend only (i.e. not during the weekdays) because the smell was so strong - I smelled like I'd been staining furniture all day (ha!). Since my last post, I went to a naturopathic doctor. She prescribed me the following: 1) Folic Acid - 1 mg/day; 2) Lactobacillus Acidophillus tabs - 2 - twice daily (5 Billion CFU/g); 3)"HMS Candigens" - vaginal suppositories (1 nightly for six days). She is also ordering in some Boric Acid, which I am to use nightly once it is in; I am using a peroxide douche (as recommended by several posters on this site) until it's in. She also has put me on a couple of other things to boost my immune system, and has advised me to avoid sugar as much as possible. I will continue to visit this site regularly; I have found the advice/knowledge here fantastic. Here's hoping that something happens with this; ten months is too long to have no reprieve from this. Thanks again, gatorgal, and I will keep you posted.

Junior Member Array

im 16 years old and i figured i have BV. i am a virgin and so i didnt catch this from anyone. but it seems that i have a thick white discharge and when it dries up it gets all yellow looking and i notice when i pee, my pee smells bad and i can also smell my vagina scent. it smells like a light fishy scent mixed with something else. its weird because i dont have any burning or itching going on. i really hate that im 16 and i have something wrong down there because i want to become sexually active with my bf but i cant because im self conscious that he will notice the smell. i am trying to get clarified what i should buy that would work best to stop my smell. i used hydrogen peroxide and soaked it in a tampon and wore it for 2 hours then took it out. i didnt do it everyday because i forgot but then again i wasnt sure if i was suppose to do it that way. i want to try something with the hydrogen peroxide and acidophilus and folic acid.. can someone give me specific instructions on what exactly i should buy and what to do.. because for the acidophilus idk if i should buy oral ones or the capsules to put down there.

i am going shopping tomorrow and i just want to know what i should get?

thanks alot

Blog Entries

Do NOT put hydrogen peroxide in your vagina! That must hurt like crazy. There are good bacteria in your vagina that it would kill; on the other hand you could have a yeast infection instead of BV and killing the bacteria would make that MUCH worse. You need to see a doctor to diagnose your problem if your mother can't help you. There is a BIG difference between the treatments for these two problems, and until you learn to tell the difference in your own body, you shouldn't self-treat.

Junior Member Array

well i am just reading what gatorgal had said and i am thinking about trying it. my doctor keeps putting me on metranidazole but it doesn't work i have had this problem for like months and when my period comes on i hope that when it overs the BV goes away as well but it seems to never happen....gatorgal i am gonna try what5 you send and let you know what i come up with. thanks

Junior Member Array

I've had BV for almost 5 years now and it's been getting worse and worse over the years. I have tried everything that everyone is talking about and some worked for a while then stopped, some didn't work at all.

STOP getting antibiotics from the doctor, they don't work and they are VERY bad for you. Another thing, the doctors won't help. Their solution is to just give you more antibiotics or stronger doses. Don't get me wrong, I believe in Doctors and the need to go to them but they can't help you with this chronic problem, trust me.
    Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 06-03-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Junior Member Array

Default help!

hi there,

I am new to this site. i have been suffering since just after my son was born nearly years ago. after numerous appointments with my gp( who thought that my symptoms were in my head!!!) i finally got passed on to a gyne consultant in my local hospital. i have been prescribed numerous drugs for anything from uti's to thrush to cystitus and have been prescribed anti depressants, diflucan, bladder control medicines, pessaries etc to name a few. i am due my next appointment on friday at the hospital and it hasnt come soon enough as i am suffering really badly right now. my sypmtoms are itching, burning(especially after peeing- it feels like my wee is burning my vaginal skin) discharge yellowsh and pain on touch. i have a long term boyfriend and knows that i have problems down there but it is hard to tell him what i have as i dont know exactly myself. i was diagnosed mith bv at my appointment in paril and was prescribed metronazole(???) antibiotics which were horrible as they made me quezzy and gave me a really bad thrush infection. i had had since the pessaries as well which i hated as they did the same. i always seem to get my symptoms the week before and the week after my period. i dont wear tampons and always use san towels, i dont use scented soap, detergents etc and i wear loose fitting clothes cotton undies and keep an eye on my diet so it not to acidic ...oh and i dont drink caffiene or alcohol. these are all measures that i have taken myself through my own research. i just wish that i had a normal vagina...its come to the fact the point when i was soo depressed that i found it hard to leave the house last week and i nearly broke up with my boyfriend who i dearly love, but i didnt want him to suffer because i am...does that make sense!!!!
    i am also divorced and i put it partially down to our non existant sex life after i got these symptoms! i have sex with my boyfriend when i feel of but i always got to the toilet stroight after and wash down below. god love him he must think im weird as i run to the bathroom stright after!
    i have got some tips from this site which i thank you for.have just ordered bio fem and the biotic capsules.... cant remember the name!
    i just want the consultant to say yes this is what you have and this is how we are going to treat it, but every time i go back they pan me off with something else. i mean they sent me for a kidney scan which i didnt understand as my pain and burning is in my vagina. i also get back pain and throbbing at the tops of my legs...is this common as well!
    i would really really really really appreciate any feed back that you may be able to give. i am just happy to see that its not only me suffering as at the beginning i was thinking it was in my head!

thank you for reading my thread.

take care.x

Junior Member Array

Your stories sounds quite familiar to me. I was suffering from BV due to the use of an IUD with hormones.
    The only method working to make out own good bacteria happy is to feed them well. Then you do not need antibiotics or disinfectants.

.................................................. .....
    This eliminates bad smell in a few hours, and helps itching and dryness when used over a longer period. Quite natural, no side effects (except for some more sexual desire).
    Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 12-25-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: opinions only, no advertising

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast