Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brownish discharge one week after period ended

Junior Member Array phyllis gabor's Avatar

Unhappy brownish discharge one week after period ended

hi, im really confused and worried right now as i just discovered that im discharging brown one week after my period ended. what could this mean?? can anyone shed some light please?? is this a sign of harm?? HELP!

VIP Member Array

Hi there,

It just usually means that some of your remaining blood from your last period is just being washed down thru your normal secretions. That is why the discharge is brown. If the discharge is brown, that is not a sign of fresh bleeding. Fresh bleeding would be bright red. I think that you're ovulating and your normal secretions is cleansing out the last of your period. If it keeps up and doesn't stop over the next few days, then I would get myself checked out. Think of when you have had a nosebleed, sometimes the lining of your nose has dried blood in it, then when you sneeze and you blow your nose the tissue has brown mucus on it. Could be the same thing happening down below.

i hope its the case cause i had spotting also a week before my period last month, so its really confusing me. theres no pain or anything, and the discharge is not a lot i really appreciate your help and reply. it made me feel much better thanks for the advice!

oh update, the discharge is now a bit reddish and brown, it seems that theres a bit of blood now... could it be that im having my period again?? help!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array silvertae's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just doing some googling has indicated that mid-cycle spotting is likely caused by a drop in estrogen right before ovulation. However, it can also indicate problems such as fibroids or endometriosis, so if it concerns you, just make an appointment with your doc to check things out.
    Well some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I can not disagree. But I never learned nothing from playing it safe; I say fate should not tempt me. I take my chances.

Junior Member Array

I'm having the EXACT same issue, and I too am curious as to if I should be worried ..if I'm getting my period again, should I be concerned about that as well? I don't even know what's going on :\

Junior Member Array desolate_thunder's Avatar

Lightbulb In regards to brown discharge - is it ovulation or shedding excess period blood?

Quote Originally Posted by 2morrow View Post
    Hi there,

It just usually means that some of your remaining blood from your last period is just being washed down thru your normal secretions. That is why the discharge is brown. If the discharge is brown, that is not a sign of fresh bleeding. Fresh bleeding would be bright red. I think that you're ovulating and your normal secretions is cleansing out the last of your period. If it keeps up and doesn't stop over the next few days, then I would get myself checked out. Think of when you have had a nosebleed, sometimes the lining of your nose has dried blood in it, then when you sneeze and you blow your nose the tissue has brown mucus on it. Could be the same thing happening down below.
    This message is directed towards 2morrow --

I found this site through basically googling the same sentence of "brownish discharge one week after period ended" While I read your reply to phyllis_gabor and I found it very insightful, I am curious if you happen to know if the brownish-red discharge (it is mostly brown for me) could also be a part of ovulation. If I am guessing my ovulation time right, today could be the start of it (according to a period starting on the Feb 13th and my approx. 30 day cycle average) While I do believe it might just be my body getting rid of excess blood since I had an unusually short (mine are usually very short and heavy) period, I am wondering if the start of ovulation could start the brown discharge? I also have read elsewhere that brown discharge could be sign of pregnancy as well. Another forum I read, someone posted advice which said:

"Hello. I have read your post and decided to help you and explain you some stuff about this brown vaginal discharge.
    Like your doctor told you if you notice a brownish tinge in your cervical mucus, relax- there is perhaps nothing to be worry about.
    Brown vaginal discharge, especially if it happened around ovulation time- it is almost 100% due to ovulation.
    But of course, I can say this only because you have already been to your doctor. This is because vaginal brown discharge could indicate infection or early pregnancy.
    So, if I exclude all these reasons- I'm pretty sure that it is from ovulation. Of course, you should practice safe sex to be sure that isnít caused by early pregnancy. "

I know this is just advice from another person, but I have experienced this brownish discharge once before, and this time it also lasted about 3 days of brown discharge, enough to significantly stain. And wonder if maybe it could have something to do with my short periods?

I was also sexually active (partner of 3 years) about 6 days prior to my brown discharge today although we had protected sex. I just find it weird because usually ovulation has clear, sticky discharge when it occurs, correct? So if this is truly ovulation, why is it only once in a while? I also read that pregnancy spotting (or implantation) is only a very little bit of blood spotting, and this is definitely a significant amount.

I am just wondering if you (or anyone else) has any insight into this...?

Banned from WH Array

consult a doc seasonale

Junior Member Array

im really confused and worried im having brown stain in my underware 19 days after my period ended. theres no pain or anything and the discharge was too little.. wat does it mean?

Junior Member Array

started my period on the 13th of march and it was a four days cycle but now i have started bleeding again. Wuz up please help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast