Forum:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thongs for teens

VIP Member Array

Default thongs for teens

My fourteen year old daughter and I were shopping for underwear this weekend and she wanted to buy some thongs. I said not at your age. She claims that some of her friends wear them. (Good grief how do they know what kind of panties they are wearing?) Anyway, am I a prud?

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think so... I would have done/said the same thing! Some of the things I see young girls wearing these days makes my jaw drop. I don't see how they are even allowed out of the house...
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

They know what they're wearing cuz a) they've gossiped about it and b) they probably change in the same room for gym class or something.

Personally, I don't see anything inherently wrong with thongs (other than them being uncomfortable to ME). They're (hopefully) not a piece of clothing that others would see anyway, so really she'd just be wearing one for herself, maybe feeling a little bit more mature, more grown up!

If her friends are doing it then... she probably feels like she has to compete with them or something. Remember how when you were a kid, you wanted to do the same sort of things that others did, especially the popular kids?

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array

Since no one is going to see it except maybe the girls in the locker room I don't see how it matters what she's wearing under the rest of her clothes. My mom would let us buy whatever we wanted of such things. Usually a week later we'd realize it was uncomfortable or just not so great and cool as it seemed and that would be that. Generally she'd tell us these things ahead of time. Most of the people I knew in junior high or highschool who's parents put strict rules on things like that are the ones that went a bit nuts come college when they left home and no one saying no just because. If my mom couldn't give us good reasons (such as the comfort factor) then she wouldn't say no. She made us think about the consequences for everything and if necessary experience them so when we were out on our own we didn't go nuts. We never had much interest in being rebellious teenagers because there was nothing to rebel against. I had a few struggles with my mom over allowing me to make large financial decisions after I moved out and we argued a few times over places I wanted to live (I thought paying apartment rent was a complete waste and wanted to jump into paying toward owning a place) but her arguments came out sound for those instances so I never did it. I'm glad I didn't. If she hadn't allowed us to make little mistakes that really brought no harm I probably would have gone against her opinion just to do so like teenagers are apt to do. You have to pick your battles and you have to decide when to give a little something that allows them to feel more grown up. Eventually they will be grown up and then they'll either want to try all those things you said not to or they'll have come to realize following trends without thinking it through and not listening to logic has downsides.

WH Super Moderator Array x.st.angel.x's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My cousin started wearing thongs at the age of 8...8?! i was kind of stunned about that. Teenagers however like to keep up with the the 'style' the 'fashion'. When i was younger i knew of teenagers who would wear things such as thongs only to keep up with thier friends.
    Lifes not about how many breaths you take its about how many moments take your breath away!

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

If we were talking bikini's that she'd be wearing to the beach party and everyone can see I'd understand your concern of a 14 year old wearing a thong... and that in my opinion would be greatly innapropriate.

But when talking about panties that no one will see other than her gf's sleep overs, etc.. I don't see the harm in thong panties at that age. 14 is about a freshman in highschool... and fashion is a big deal for high school girls, just trying to fit in etc.

Maybe she was teased for her panty line showin in her pants or called granny panties by friends that were "sophisticated" enough to by their own thong while at the mall...

I don't think the type of panties she's wearing under her clothes will influence her sexuality, or turn her into a bad girl if she's a good one etc..With teen girls you have to pick your battles when it comes to fighting over clothes they want to express themselves in. Something that no one will ever see , but will make her FEEL like she is a grown woman, etc... probably wouldn't hurt either of you in my opinion.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Junior Member Array

I think you should buy her one, just to see how it is, and if her friends wear, it's natural to want too.. I don't think is something you have to worry about.. Is just because she is a teenager and wants to try somethings.. But always keep her in control, asking it from you means that she son't care if you know it, so she trust you

Junior Member Array

lol!

i believe that 14 is okay for thongs. I was the same age when my parents flipped out and banned them... so naturally i spent my allowance on them. when they caught me i just kept doing it i had like 1 thong going at a time cuz they would turf them when they found them lol anyway.. if your daughter is determined to wear thongs she will whether she borrows them from a friend or buys them herself. at that age being able to fit in with other girls her age is the most important thing to her. not saying i condone conforming behavior but when it doesn;t put her life/health or other crucial aspects of her life at great risk i dont see the problem. so she doesnt think she had full control, I would meet her halfway. such as, she can have a couple thongs to wear with certain pairs of pants when an underwear line is very noticeable or something. that way the intention of her getting a thong is for a practical, unsexual reason. also, during the process you want to tell her that you dont want to see it hanging out of her pants.. ect.. thongs are fine so long as they are wore appropriately... if you make the experience boring and practical it kind of kills the excitement and increases the chance even slightly that she will use the thongs appropriately.

WH Super Moderator Array sourpuss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princess88 View Post
    lol!

i believe that 14 is okay for thongs. I was the same age when my parents flipped out and banned them... so naturally i spent my allowance on them. when they caught me i just kept doing it i had like 1 thong going at a time cuz they would turf them when they found them lol anyway.. if your daughter is determined to wear thongs she will whether she borrows them from a friend or buys them herself. at that age being able to fit in with other girls her age is the most important thing to her. not saying i condone conforming behavior but when it doesn;t put her life/health or other crucial aspects of her life at great risk i dont see the problem. so she doesnt think she had full control, I would meet her halfway. such as, she can have a couple thongs to wear with certain pairs of pants when an underwear line is very noticeable or something. that way the intention of her getting a thong is for a practical, unsexual reason. also, during the process you want to tell her that you dont want to see it hanging out of her pants.. ect.. thongs are fine so long as they are wore appropriately... if you make the experience boring and practical it kind of kills the excitement and increases the chance even slightly that she will use the thongs appropriately.
    I agree that this is a good compromise.
    Unfortunately, the style now is to have them hanging out of your pants. Luckily, that style is dying out.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Register! | Rules/FAQ | Contact Mod

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array Goodgirl93's Avatar

I don't see a problem with thongs. Although I'm only 16,but I asked my mom if it was okay with her if I got some when I was 15 and she agreed it was okay. It's just underwear.And if no one is going to see them but her and maybe the girls in the lockeroom at school,I don't see a problem.Like the ladies have said above,maybe her friends are wearing them and she feels that in order to fit in,she should wear them too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast