Forum:

Thread: My husband is a picky eater!

VIP Member Array Beaches&Bridges's Avatar

Default My husband is a picky eater!

My husband doesn't eat any fruits or vegetables. He likes things like, steak, chicken, ground beef, pasta, rice. and that is moslty what our dinners consist of. I am barely getting him to be okay with me chopping broccoli and cauliflower into our meals like say we have Chicken Fettucini and I mix it into the noodles. But I have to literally chop it into tiny pieces and he still make a face when he eats, I think that he is thinking about it too much. I am starting a low carb diet (I'm pre-diabeitic) and I need to be able to cook meals that are health for me but my husband won't mind eating. Does anybody know of any good receipes or where I can find some? Please share. Thanks!
    "Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+)MAY 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array pretzel's Avatar

A blender or food processor can be your friend. Make a sauce out of the veggies,

As for places to find good recipe's I know we use Foodnetwork alot, as well as BonApetit.
    There will always be boundries, but making love is so different, than having sex, let's face it. CW

Junior Member Array

tell him to eat fish such as salmon, mackerel, sturgeon, sardines, bluefish etc. they contains lots of fish oil which can help your husband lose weight. **edit link
    Last edited by caterpillar79; 05-19-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Outbound linking is not allowed. Read forum rules and be guided accordingly.

VIP Member Array Beaches&Bridges's Avatar

I have a blender, I think this weekend it will come out of hiding. (:

I think the only fishy thing my husband might eat is salmon, I think I'll suggest it today when we go grocery shopping.

Thanks !
    "Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."
    — Marilyn Monroe

VIP Member Array

I don't know that this will work because my brother used to be a very picky little eater, but we used to flip through some simple recipes with pictures (lots of them) together and then he'd pick one new recipe to try each week. Some people have had bad experiences with certain foods. My fiance and his brother and sister will not drink milk at all. They all remember being forced to drink it as youngsters in pre-k and kindergarten. But there is hope. Now my brother, five years younger than me at age 16, eats and drinks healthy and even gives me tips. It really stunned me when we went to Subway and he asked for every single vegetable to be placed on his sandwhich. He used to never eat lettuce, tomatoes, or anything vegetable that wasn't collards or brocolli (which he called trees.) And he isn't big on all the fruits but hey, he's in no way picky about everything now. And the blender will be your friend. If all else fails, at least there are personal servings of vegetables made by Green Giant in the frozen section. They are pretty good. Check them out.

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

I think for starters, good communication is vital. He needs (if he doesn't already) to understand your need to eat healthier so that you can be healthy AND alive. He also needs to understand that you are doing him a favor by cooking his meals every evening....you're not going to stand there and cook two seperate meals. In a nice way, let him know the importance of this issue. Let him know that you need him to be open minded and be willing to try things. It's like I've heard many parents say to other parents when they're complaining that their kids won't eat what they cook. "Let them sit there long enough and the'll get hungry enough to eat what you've prepared for them." It's sort of a battle of the wills. Ahh...how nice it must be as an adult to sit and wait for someone to prepare your meal and then make yucky faces when you taste a shred of something that isn't your favorite.

Chicken can be awesome and easy. I love getting the boneless skinless chicken breasts and cooking them in the crockpot all day long until they're ready to fall apart. You can then put a dab of bbq sauce in with it just to add some flavor (without adding a bunch of calories).

Search "foods with a low gylcemic index". When you find some ingredients that are low, and you want to incorporate, visit websites like AllRecipes and search the ingredient until you find a dish you think might want to give a try. There are so many AWESOME veggies out there and things you can do with them and they are all so wonderful for you.

At the end of the day, remember, you're the only one who is gonna watch out for your health. Don't allow him to keep you from getting the nutrients you need just because he's being so picky. If he won't compromise and open his mind and willingness to try, let him fend for himself.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

I have a similar problem and a co-worker of mine suggested we just eat different things at dinner. If he's going to make a fuss about some harmless green veggies, then he's on his own. He can hunt for his own food if he so wishes. Just don't sacrifice your health anymore because of someone else. Diabetes could be very serious if you're not careful.

VIP Member Array

All good points. My MIL to be used to tell her kids that if they didn't like what she had made to eat or wanted something different then they weren't too hungry. Funny but true.

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

He's got to be told and made to understand how very serious diabetes is, the dangerous side-effects and health complications it could potentially cause... and to understand that you are trying to avoid going down that path. Your health is more important, he can put on his big boy pants and eat a little healthier if it means he's going to have his wife longer. He probably just doesn't have a firm grasp on the importance of you getting out of that pre-diabetic state. You can make your meals, the meats, the pastas and veggies seperate and not blended together... so that you can portion control your food and make choices to avoid the dishes you want to avoid when filling your plate, and he can skip the dishes he doesn't want to add to his etc.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.