Forum:

Thread: Mens sex drive after 55

Junior Member Array

Default Mens sex drive after 55

My husband's sex drive is almost at zero, any advice??? We've been married 20 years and my sex drive has gone way up!!!!

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Start with full check up/physical, blood work, hormones levels checked, all that. Then see what you have?
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

VIP Member Array

Mine started going away at 40, found out my body decided to stop producing testosterone, so went on replacement therapy. It definitely works; I'm 59, have sex once a week, masturbate 3 0r four times as well. You have to be careful though, because it will increase the red cell count (hemocrit levels) which can pose health risks; I give blood every 60 days to keep it under control.

Gold Contributor 500+ Posts Array Texasred's Avatar

'T' therapy worked for me; it can improve your state of mind and increase lean body mass as well as increasing libido, but the "standard" dosage isn't right for everyone, so it requires careful monitoring, at least until the right dose is established.

But a FULL physical is required, since it could well be something else.
    Last edited by Texasred; 06-12-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: to complete the thought

Banned from WH Array Thomas Hepburn's Avatar

It may also be that a man smokes, is overweight, takes no exercise or has a bad diet. All these things play a part in a man's sex drive as well as well as medication. Does he have a strong erection in the morning? If he does then the circulation to the penis is good. At any rate, a visit to the doctor should be arranged(if of course he's willing) Are there circumstances in the home that are putting him off sex?

VIP Member Array

Texsasred is Texas right - it does increase lean body mass. If you couple it with a strength regimen, you develop a very nice muscular body (no hindrance to great sex I might add). Careful on the dosage and keep Dr. in the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by WildChild View Post
    Start with full check up/physical, blood work, hormones levels checked, all that. Then see what you have?
    Yep! This is where to start. I suffer from low T and strangely, it did not affect my sex drive, but it did affect my performance in the sack. A check-up also indicated that I had low bone density. This is a serious medical condition, but treatable once diagnosed. You will be doing your husband and yourself a favor to get him into a full physical. The doctor does need to know about the lack of libido so he/she knows where to look. If your husband is not confortable sharing this information with the doctor, you should (discretely of course).

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array LilahX's Avatar

Very common for men to lose interest and it's often due to physical reasons like being overweight, on medication etc. Talk to him about it but be aware that he may not be willing. Many men don't want to face such an issue and just fob it off, leaving their wives frustrated in more ways than one. Sex drive doesn't automatically just diminish. My man is 60 and altho he has some performance issues (due to long term medication), his interest is still high.

It's very unfortunate when libido is mismatched and can lead to resentment if it's not addressed, but he has to be willing to want to fix it - and sadly often they don't.

Good luck.