Forum:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very bad teeth...costly dental work or dentures

Junior Member Array kittysarcastico's Avatar

Default Very bad teeth...costly dental work or dentures

Ok...I'm young for dentures, but I wanted some opinions. I'm in my early thirties, and I've dealt with bad teeth my whole life. the teeth on each side of my top 2 front teeth are pushed back a great deal. The rest are crooked. I brush and floss but they are yellow the 2 front teeth are chipped.

I'm finally at a place where I can work on them. But I'm not sure what route to take. My teeth are EXTREMELY bad...looking at thousands and thousands of dollars to correct. I've thought about pulling part of my top teeth and getting partial. Quicker and cheaper.

What do you guys think?

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In addition, dentures are difficult to remain in.. The plastic can make you dry reach as it has to go all the way under to the back in order to suction properly...

Why not, not worry about the sides for now and only worry about the front ones, you can also cap your teeth to whiten them, or off course, bleach them professionally..

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

August 2011 Poster of the Month Array Little.Chuck's Avatar

Have a look at snap-on-smile

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. - Mary Anne Radmacher

Junior Member Array

I would do everything possible to prevent getting dentures. I know dental work is extremely expensive, but if you get crowns, perhaps one at a time, it will be worth it in the long run. I have a partial, as well as a few crowns. You might be able to find a dentist that will take payments, and perhaps an insurance plan where you can get crowns a little bit cheaper.

Junior Member Array

Your dentist can give you the whitening kits so that you can whiten your teeth yourself at home. This is much less expensive than having it done professionally.

Banned from WH Array

I would exhaust every possible option before I even considered dentures. Dentures should be a last resort....not a first consideration.

Junior Member Array

if u feel u want them out u can talk 2 ure dentist about tooth implants as they will jst give u implants 4 the teeth u want but they r jst as expensive i've done research myself as im in the same position and over here in the uk its costing me 2000 per tooth and i cant afford that at the moment.

Junior Member Array

I have a dental background for 13 years.

Dentures are the last resort - yes they do give you a smile but yes they are basically only good for smiling with. Most dentures are not functional.
    Most dentists will not extract crocked teeth for appearance. Dentures are a short term problem.

Orthodontics (yes braces) will fix the crowding and some orthodontists can also address the issue of chipping. You have to look at why your teeth are chipping (are you grinding or clenching your teeth? do you have enamel formation issues? or decay?) In saying all this unless you address the issue of why you have crocked teeth once you finish braces the teeth will crowd again. (this is usually due to airway - blocked nose, allergies etc.)

Decay is a big problem in our society at present. The simple fact is "If you eat sugar you will get decay" If you do like the sugar eat it with a meal and brush afterwards. I have the bad habit of grazing all day, this is a constant supply of sugar to my teeth. And yes I have had holes fixed - can't help it I am addicted to the smooth taste of chocolate.

Veneers - yes they look pretty, yes they cost an absolute motza about $2500 for each tooth (in australia) and yes they do last for ever and need to be replaced about every 15 years. You have to be very careful what you eat, no bitting into apples or carrots, no pork crackling, h a higher risk of decay. No sticking food that has a pulling motion on your teeth.

At the end of the day what nature has given you is better than anything man made, and if you CAN preserve this it is your best option.

If you need any more info on restorative dental work feel free to ask, I have just covered the basics here but there is a lot more to it.

Junior Member Array

I have a dental background for 13 years.

Dentures are the last resort - yes they do give you a smile but yes they are basically only good for smiling with. Most dentures are not functional.
    Most dentists will not extract crocked teeth for appearance. Dentures are a short term problem.

Orthodontics (yes braces) will fix the crowding and some orthodontists can also address the issue of chipping. You have to look at why your teeth are chipping (are you grinding or clenching your teeth? do you have enamel formation issues? or decay?) In saying all this unless you address the issue of why you have crocked teeth once you finish braces the teeth will crowd again. (this is usually due to airway - blocked nose, allergies etc.)

Decay is a big problem in our society at present. The simple fact is "If you eat sugar you will get decay" If you do like the sugar eat it with a meal and brush afterwards. I have the bad habit of grazing all day, this is a constant supply of sugar to my teeth. And yes I have had holes fixed - can't help it I am addicted to the smooth taste of chocolate.

Veneers - yes they look pretty, yes they cost an absolute motza about $2500 for each tooth (in australia) and yes they do last for ever and need to be replaced about every 15 years. You have to be very careful what you eat, no bitting into apples or carrots, no pork crackling, h a higher risk of decay. No sticking food that has a pulling motion on your teeth.

At the end of the day what nature has given you is better than anything man made, and if you CAN preserve this it is your best option.

If you need any more info on restorative dental work feel free to ask, I have just covered the basics here but there is a lot more to it.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How about peridontitis.... where the bone loss is quite severe....

I have heard you can graft bone from elsewhere and have implants, although painful and dentures are required initially...and obviously costly as well, is this a better option than just dentures...

I'm in Australia, hope your not in Brisbane

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast