Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaw Surgery

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Dollface2008's Avatar

Default Jaw Surgery

So theres a popular surgery called Maxiofacial surgery and its when they break your jaw and re-align it. I recently got this surgery last summer and it was by far the most intense experience of mylife. I had to have my jaw wired shut, could only dring liquids for 2 weeks it was awful. I had upper and lower jaw surgery at the same time, where most only have upper, or only have lower. I've been through more dental work then anyone could imagine, so if anyone is considering getting this surgery, or has been toold they should I am very experienced and knowlaged in the subject so if you have any questions about it I'll do my best to answer. I know it would have been helpful for me to be able to talk to someone prior to deciding to do the whole thing. So I'm here if anyone has questions!

Junior Member Array

Smile Jaw surgery

Hi my daughter is having upper jaw surgery very soon. I am very worried about possible permanent numbness. Have you experienced any numbness from this operation?
    Thankyou..Julie

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Dollface2008's Avatar

i had upper and lower jaw surgery so i had alot of numbness in my chin afterwards the part that bothered me the most was that i would have something drippind down my chin and i couldnt feel it. but the numbness didnt go away completly for a good 6 months it was rather unfortunate. but advice for you would be buy her a vaporizer because i was miserable because i could not breath outa my nose hardly because upper jaw surgery makes you have a stuffy nose and when your mouth is wired shut and your nose is plugged up its NO FUN trust me. so vaporizers helped me alot. also tomato soup is great i lived off it for 2 weeks

Junior Member Array

hi! I'm entirely new to this forum. I'm 23 and scheduled to have both upper and lower jaw surgery in exactly one months time. I've been preparing for it for over a year in braces, but I'm getting pretty nervous the closer it comes. My mother is particularly worried that I will lose a lot of weight. My doctor told me that I will likely not be wired shut, but rather rubber-banded shut. How did you find eating post-op? Was it very difficult? About how long did it take you before you felt as if you could eat a normal diet?

Also, I'm curious about how long it took for the major swelling to go away...

Oh, I have zillions of questions, but I suppose I should limit them. Thanks for your help!
    -Cassie

WH Super Moderator Array patricias213's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My husband had emergency lower jaw surgery. His mouth was also tied shut for about 3 weeks. He drank ensure drinks and i made soup and blend everything together so nothing wont stick. I guess that was the hardest part for him. You might be surprise to see the colour of your tougne when they take out the wires!
    ~♥Þátrìçìá♥~

Junior Member Array

Default toughest kid ever

my daughter who is almost 19 has spent the last few years in and out of the dentist chair. She was born with a rare birth defect that prevented her from getting most of her permenant teeth she has had gum grafting, the jaw surgery which was only really bad because she was throwing up after from the drugs and had her mouth banded shut. She acually felt better after a week and a half. She got some really bad sinus head aches. She refuse to go to school for a full two and half weeks because the swelling in face was huge she looked like really funny. She also was left with two scars on the outside of her face where they had to drill screws We have pictures. She had bone grafting on all four quads and the bone came from inside her hip which left a 5 inch scar. She's had 8 dental implants which took two more surgeries and today she spent 8 hours having her teeth preped for 21 crowns and a bridge. She has two more appt and will have a 150,000. smile. One tough kid!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array TWills32's Avatar

I have to get jaw surgery done eventually. I have a pretty bad over-bite, but that's not the main issue. My jaw clicks. It will click in and out of place when I'm eating, chewing gum, talking, ect. Not every time, but when it does, it's very painful. I get a lot of headaches and earaches from it. Hopefully this surgery does the trick. My husband says he's looking forward to the silence once my jaw is wired shut -_-

tyi
    Junior Member Array

So I have four adult teeth in my upper row that never grew in. Ten year ago (I was 15) I had the four baby teeth taken out in anticipation that the adult teeth would erupt. Well, they didn't and I got braces SIX years ago in an attempt to correct the gaping teeth being caused by the empty space in my mouth from the adult teeth still impacted in my gums. Last Friday I finally got two of the four teeth exposed and bracketed. They drilled my gums/tissue and broke through my teeth, put wire and chains on my teeth and connected them to my wires on my braces. Now. Two teeth couldn't be exposed due to limited space, so I gotta get three of my wisdom teeth pulled so rooom can be made for my other two impacted teeth. THEN further down the line they wanna do the surgery where they break my jaw and allign my underbite.

Hello,
    I am new here and I too can share about Jaw Surgery. My daughter had this surgery in 2005. Upper jaw was moved forward 4mm, widened, lowered in back and pinned back in place with titanium pins.

She only had issues the day of the surgery. She was not wired shut but had a heavy surgical wire on her upper teeth and a plastic splint that was wired to the braces and she had heavy rubber bands on the braces that kept the teeth closed. She only wore those for 4 days. After the surgery we had zip-n-squeeze bags for her to be able to eat and drink. This product is totally amazing. They are little bags with a zip lock top and a clamp you put on the top to make sure the zip locks to not pop open. It has a soft plastic tube sticking out the side close to the top. One slides the tube along side the cheek to the back of the mouth and you squeeze the bag with your hand and the drink or pureed food goes into the mouth and you just swallow. Without these bags getting drinks and food past the closed teeth is nearly impossible. They were a god send.

Her results are amazing. She has no numbness or bad side effects from this surgery.

Feel free to ask me anything. I can help too.
    Doxielvr aka Anita
    Happily Married 26 years, Child of God over 30 years
    Mother of two grown children
    Soon to be a Grandmother in April for the first time!
    Former bulimic and successful reversal of this horrible disease with Atkins for 5 years.

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dollface2008 View Post
    So theres a popular surgery called Maxiofacial surgery and its when they break your jaw and re-align it. I recently got this surgery last summer and it was by far the most intense experience of mylife. I had to have my jaw wired shut, could only dring liquids for 2 weeks it was awful. I had upper and lower jaw surgery at the same time, where most only have upper, or only have lower. I've been through more dental work then anyone could imagine, so if anyone is considering getting this surgery, or has been toold they should I am very experienced and knowlaged in the subject so if you have any questions about it I'll do my best to answer. I know it would have been helpful for me to be able to talk to someone prior to deciding to do the whole thing. So I'm here if anyone has questions!
    Hi. I am having jaw surgery in 3 weeks and I was wondering if you could tell me what to expect for recovery. I am having my lower jaw moved forward and my upper jaw broken and realigned to fix my huge open bite and over bite. What was your diet like? How much weight did you lose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast